Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Jewels on College Ave





Here's my little scheme for a tiny jewelry store on College Ave.

In a way, this was my first real architecture project at school.
The program called for a jewelry store at a specific existing site on College Ave. The current occupant of this site is a small clothing store. It's footprint is about 20' x 50' x 16'.

We were first instructed to choose jewelry that would inspire the design for our space.

Here were a few pieces that interested me:

Alexis Bittar

"On Gossamer Wings" Culoyon

"Undulate" Tataborello

One thing that I like about all three of the above pieces is that they have a certain elegance and movement to them, without seeming too posh or stuck up. Each of them has a somewhat organic appeal, and that quality reminded me of Zion National Park. The rugged elegance of the canyon walls there was ideal for my design vision.



Canyon Walls at ZNP

Here is an image of my proposed facade in the context of its neighbors on College Ave, which was inspired by the movement of my chosen pieces of jewelry and the canyon walls of Zion:

Elevation

My biggest struggle in this project was a tie between overcoming my fear of adding architectural features to such a tiny space, and using a computer to model my design. I initially felt that adding a lot of walls or floor features would be overwhelming, so I erred on the side of blandness - all I had in the space was a bathroom, the curved display counter, the seating area and the "floating wall". After my professor urged me to add more architectural interest, I devised this ceiling feature:



Reflected Ceiling Plan



Floor Plan



Section Looking Left



Section Looking Right



Perspective View from rear seating area.



Detail of built-in jewelry display.

No comments:

Post a Comment